If you’ve got some stubborn belly fat, the kind that you’ve had trouble getting rid of, or have recently had a child and want to return your tummy to a pre-pregnancy silhouette, the tummy tuck procedure at Salmon Creek Plastic Surgery could be a great choice.
Your tummy tuck will be individualized to your specific conditions that may include:
- Excess localized fat in the abdominal area
- Loose and sagging skin in the abdominal area
- Weakened or separated abdominal muscles due to pregnancy, weight loss or aging
One or all of these conditions may be present and can be surgically improved by a tummy tuck. A tummy tuck cannot correct stretch marks, although these may be removed or somewhat improved if they are primarily located on the areas of excess skin that will be excised, generally those treated areas are below the belly button.
Surgical removal of excess fat and skin may be combined with liposuction during a tummy tuck. There are variations to tummy tuck surgery; the technique selected is dependant on the degree of correction necessary to achieve a flatter profile and firmer abdomen. Incision length and pattern depend on the amount and location of excess skin to be removed, as well as personal preference and surgical judgment.
Liposuction may be used in conjunction with a tummy tuck or to recontour other areas of the body by removing localized excess fat deposits. Other body contouring procedures may be performed separately or in the same surgical session as a tummy tuck. However, not all patients are good candidates for combined procedures. Your case will be evaluated on an individual basis.
Tummy Tuck Recovery
When you are recovering from a tummy tuck you won’t feel like doing a lot for the first few days. You will have a drain in place, which will be removed after 4-5 days.
- Bathroom: You will need help into the bathroom, but not in the bathroom, for the first two days.
- Sleeping: You will probably be more comfortable sleeping in a chair, such as a recliner, for the first week or two.
- Showering: You’ll need to be careful showering for the first two days and will want to stand with your back to the shower.
- Driving: You won’t be able to drive for the first two weeks or so because it will be difficult to manipulate the pedals of the car.
- Exercise: You will be able to do low impact exercise in 3-4 weeks, and will be able to resume higher-impact exercise such as jogging after 4-6 weeks.
If you’ve had a hysterectomy or a c-section, then recovery from a tummy tuck will feel quite similar.
Our Vancouver, WA clinic features a discrete, state-of-the-art, on-site surgery center staffed by medical professionals. You won’t have to travel to a hospital or other generic surgery center for your procedure. You also will have a private room where you can recover from surgery.