PLEASE NOTE: As of October 2021 we no longer offer this procedure.
If you are unhappy with with the way your hair looks and you’re ready for a change, then NeoGraft might be the answer you’ve been waiting for. It’s a very safe, non invasive, and relatively minor procedure.
What is the NeoGraft hair transplant technique?
This new form of hair transplantation and hair restoration, called FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction), employs the NeoGraft machine and replaces traditional techniques. Before NeoGraft, surgeons would cut out a strip of your scalp, put it under a microscope and divide up the individual hair follicles. The NeoGraft machine allows us to harvest your hair follicles individually, making the procedure more efficient and faster. More importantly, the procedure does not leave you with a large scar on the back of your head and it allows you to resume normal activities much quicker. Because there’s no large scar, you won’t have sutures and you won’t have bandages after 24 hours. It’s much more convenient for you.
Many of our patients are surprised at the ease of the procedure and that they feel comfortable, even after a few days, getting back into their normal routine. We’ve had really good results with this technique and you will especially appreciate not having a big scar on the back of your head or a wound to take care of.
In a way, NeoGraft is like gardening. When you have a lot of tulips growing in the back yard and you want to move some to the front yard, you dig up the bulbs, then move them to the front yard and place them where you want them. NeoGraft hair transplants work in the same manner. We are simply removing individual hair follicles from the back of your head and moving them to the top or front of your head, whereever you might feel you need them.
What is the cost of NeoGraft hair transplants?
The cost of the procedure depends entirely upon the number of hair follicle grafts transferred. The larger the area of hair loss, the larger number of individual grafts that will be required to fill in that area. The majority of patients will need between 1,500 and 2,500 grafts transferred in order to restore their frontal hairline and give volume superiorly. Individual grafts range from $4-$5 each depending on the number of grafts. Typical costs would be:
- 500 grafts = $2,500
- 1,000 grafts = $5,000
- 1,500 grafts = $7,250
- 2000 grafts = $9,500
Naturally, this varies from patient to patient depending upon their goals for restoration. Call us at (360) 823-0860 or use the contact form on this page to schedule your complementary consultation.
How is the NeoGraft hair transplant done?
You might be wondering where the hair comes from when you get a hair transplant. Quite simply, it comes from your own head. We can’t use someone else’s hair. So in order to even be a candidate for hair transplants, you will need enough hair on the back of your scalp for us to harvest without the loss of follicles making the back of your head look unnatural.
When we perform the operation, we do it in our own operating room, which is on site in our clinic. We anesthetize the areas on the back of your head where we will be removing hair, much like a dentist would do. Then we employ the NeoGraft machine to remove the individual follicles from the back of your head. Once they are removed, we will anesthetize the front or top of your head and begin the procedure of inserting the hair. We make tiny nicks in the skin and insert the follicles, one at a time, into those nicks. Typical patients will need 1,000 to 2,000 hair follicles transplanted, so the procedure can take 6-8 hours.
How long is recovery time?
One of the nice things about NeoGraft is that because there is no scar to take care of, patients can typically return to normal activities in 7-10 days. Here’s a typical timeline for recovery:
- Day after the procedure: You will have a bandage on the back of your head for about 24 hours. No bandage will be on the areas where the hair is placed, but you will have some swelling, soreness, and occasionally bruising there for a couple of days.
- 2-4 days after the procedure: It will be important for you to not disrupt the hair follicles for the first 2-4 days after the procedure, which will be enough time to allow new blood vessels to grow into them and stabilize them. Prior to that there is nothing holding them in the scalp. You won’t want to get shower water directly on the area for about a week.
- 7-10 days afer the procedure: After about 10 days, it will be very difficult to see where the hair follicles were placed. Most patients will be back to normal activities during this time.
- 4-6 weeks: Hair will grow out of the transplated hair follicles.
- 6-12 weeks: Typically, your hair follicles will shed their hair, but don’t worry, they are simply going dormant for a short period of time. After that it’s typical that most of the hair follicles will shed.
- 9 months +: You will see normal hair growth from the transplated follicles.
How does hair loss differ in men and women?
About 40-50% of our hair transplant patients are women. But there’s a difference in hair growth between men and women. For men, hair loss is often stable over a period of time and is often contained in the front or top of the scalp. Once a man loses hair, he often won’t lose it in other areas, at least very quickly. In women, hair loss often takes place all over the scalp and is progressive. Both traditional and NeoGraft techniques can help women’s hair loss, but it’s not as effective long term as it is in men.
What are the benefits of the NeoGraft technique?
This method of hair transplantation is an advancement from the old “strip” method of hair restoration. It’s fairly straightford and it’s something you can control. You can decide when and how you want to address your hair loss. The NeoGraft technique is especially effective because:
- You won’t be left with a large scar on the back of your head.
- You will recover faster.
- You will have more natural looking results.
- It’s a minimally invasive procedure.
- The risk of complications after surgery are reduced.
Schedule a complimentary consulation
If this is something that interests you, schedule a complementary consultation to learn more and to see if NeoGraft is right for you. Call us at (360) 823-0860 or use the contact form on this page.